When Life Isn't How You Planned It

"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope." ~ Jeremiah 29:11

Most of us have been dreamers since we were children, making wishes, making plans. We grew up being asked, "what do you want to be when you grow up?" Some of us knew and some of us didn't. For the most part, our answer changed every few months or years. Interests changed. Motivations shifted. Reality set in. Maybe you already became a vet, a teacher, a therapist, an electrician, a spouse, or a parent. Or maybe you're in a career you never thought you'd be in, a situation you never wished for, a location you had no desire to be. Perhaps you are stuck, unsure of where to go, confused with life, overwhelmed with the possibilities, or afraid of making the wrong decision. Wherever you find yourself, know that you are not alone.

You don't have to "figure things out." You don't have to "make things happen." That's Jesus's job. Surrender your plans to Jesus and let Him work in your life. It may not look like what you dreamed or planned on, but there is a reason for everything we go through in this life and there is a greater plan at work. Jesus sees the big picture. He is active in all of our lives and He makes no mistakes. Jesus isn't finished working and He isn't going to leave you. His plan is greater than our plans could ever hope to be. 

My dad recently reminded me how different Jesus's thinking is from our thinking. We typically want the next thing and we want it as fast as possible. When something isn't working out how we thought it should, we start meddling and implementing our solution as if it were going to get us to the end result any faster. But our ways are not His ways. We think we know what is best for ourselves, but Jesus knows better. Oftentimes, we get so wrapped up in our dream or our plan, that we forget to surrender ourselves to Jesus and His plan for our lives. We dwell on "what do I want" rather than "Jesus, what do you want." Each day, we need to surrender our plans to Jesus and allow Him to guide our day. Ask Jesus what He wants you to do. He may give you an assignment or He may say, "You choose." Jesus loves us so much and He only wants the best for us. 

It's hard, I know. I struggle with letting go of my control, a control I never really had. I'll admit, I'm not where I pictured myself being in life right now. For a while there seemed to be a visible "plan" for my life and then it started to change and change again, and then disappear altogether. I got stuck and confused, but Jesus didn't leave me there. He prompted me toward something I had said I never wanted to do. It wasn't easy, but I said yes to Jesus's plan and let go of mine. And I'm so thankful I did. I'm okay not knowing what the future holds, because I know it will be good. Will it always be easy? No. Will it be worth it? Yes. 

Life is an adventure and with Jesus, I know it will be a good one!

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the LORD." ~ Isaiah 55:8



Comments

Popular Posts