Just Another Day of a Writer's Life

Franz Kafka said, “A non-writing writer is a monster courting insanity." How true that is! I am the kind of writer that has to write. It isn't just a hobby or occupation, it's a necessity. Just as we need air to breathe, I need to write to live. It is something that burns inside me and has to be expressed through written words. When I don't write, it gnaws at me, begs to be set free. 

I had been focusing time on the first few rounds of editing for my second orphan train novel so I could begin deep edits with my father. As a result, the actual writing part of my current novel become nearly non existent and painfully slow. My creative juices were squelched. Plus, fear and doubt decided to come calling and I became a non-writing writer.

I finished the rounds of edits and proceeded to let my father to have a look. When I tried to keep at my newest novel, I failed. Miserably. Nothing came. I tried forcing it. I tried jumping scenes. I tried character exercises. Even taking a break and writing something else was useless. I re-read what I had written and was happily surprised that it wasn't as terrible as I thought it was and that I had written more than I thought I had. But still, the words would not come. 

So I courted insanity. A few dates with some excellent books by talented authors kept me just sane enough to look over at my own writing and have curiosity bring me a few inches closer to picking up a pen. Family vacation, beautiful scenery, crazy imaginative children, and nostalgic bookstores may be what pushed me back into the writer's chair because today...

I wrote. 

Simply typing a few words made me feel as if I took a breath of fresh, sweet air. I'm saying goodbye to the non-writing writer and breaking up with insanity. It's time to create. It's time to be confident.

So, moral of the story? Write. Create. Be confident. And don't stop trying. 

God bless y'all.


Comments

Popular Posts