And the Battle Begins…



Life is a battlefield. You fight or you die. But then again, everyone dies. School is one of the many battles thrusted your way. It is a battle that takes years. Twelve to be exact. Your first few years on this precious earth are preparation for it. You learn fundamentals. Skills and tactics to keep you alive, or at least provide a hope that you will live to see graduation. Each year the battle gets harder. The common soldiers are replaced with lieutenants, then sergeants, then captains, then generals. You start with nothing but you train all day. You sweat and bleed. You get bruised and battered.
But if you are a true fighter, you won’t raise that white flag. You can think about it. You can reach for it. But you’ll never raise it. That’s how I am. I have been the soldier lying in a field, blood dripping from my heart, but I never raised the white flag. I’ve thought about it. I’ve reached for the flag. I have felt the rough pole, the wood against my skin, my fingers curling around it. But I did not lift it. I fought on. I got to my knees. I rose to my feet. I stood tall. Now I fight for the last time. But I do so with a hope to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I fight to survive but that is not the sole purpose of the fight. I have come a long way. I do not enjoy this fight but I have made my peace with it. I will use the tools I have picked up. I shall continue to use the tactics and skills that have been taught, because when this battle ends…
…the next one begins.
Okay, yes dramatics. What can I say? I’m a writer. These essays need a good flare. How else will anyone read them? You cannot just say, “It’s a new year of school. It will be hard. But I want to learn to write.” That’s ridiculous…a disgrace to writing world. And we can’t have that now, can we? So, dear reader, excuse the dramatics, the creative license, and the sarcasm in this essay. This year is the last year of high school. I will strive for excellence in all subjects, including those I do not wish to take. I wish to learn more about writing, the editorial process and publishing. I want to work toward a career as a writer.
And to you, and all that read this essay, I make this promise. I, Jasmine K. Schmidt, will fight the good fight, in life, in school, in faith, and all else that comes my way with honor, dignity, and strength. I shall get back up when I am crushed. I know that storms may come and I know there will be times where I reach for that flag. But I will not, I repeat, will not, surrender. The battle is beginning and I have my armor on and my weapons ready. I shall make it through. I do this not for recognition, nor medals, but for the glory of the Lord. I am his masterpiece, his chosen, his precious daughter.
I take up my role as a daughter, as a writer, and as a student. This coming year will be filled with opportunity, challenges, and wonderful surprises. Throw whatever you want at me…
…I’m ready.

Popular Posts