S.O.S. by Katori Morgan

If perfect love casts out all fear,

then how come I’m the most afraid in your arms?

Yet I shiver from withdrawal in your absence. 

Simultaneously cursing the monkey on my back and my flesh. 

To cope by way of the vice coaxing you into a coma is to bid demise.

Words that used to entice, now slice-

away at my self esteem.

Diction dipped in profanity erects a monument of insecurity,

which solicited your validation to appraise my equity.



How can you assume the license to legislate

my destiny? 

I try to protest but you pull the rope tighter and the knot in my soul fortifies.

All that comes out of my mouth are prickly lullabies barely able 

to hush the wailing bubbling in my gut.

If silence kills will my screams save me?



How could my heart betray me?

My strength failed me.

Every caress weakened my defense until it was too late. 

My gates had been breached unbeknownst to me,

who was lured by your allure.

Captivated by your mystery, 

I gave way to captivity.

Now 25/8 I’m chased by your pathological plague, 

a game no one told me I signed up to play.

With prior knowledge I would’ve opted out this season,

explored my trading options,

courted free agency.



Who am I kidding?

I was instantly smitten.

Didn’t pause to read the fine print.

Snatched the bait; hook, line, and sink-HER.

Back when your touch anesthetized and your smile made me blush.

Existing in your presence gave me such a rush.

But I wish someone would’ve told me how 

much of a roller coaster your spirit really was.

And so even though I’ve come to learn every drop, loop, and turn…I yearn.

Oh, how I yearn to-just-get-off.

I heard silence kills.

Lord, this time, please…let my screams save me.

 

 

 

 

 
Katori Morgan is a Twin Cities native whose intrigue with language piqued when she realized she had a knack for making words rhyme at the tender age of seven. Her fancy for literature and storytelling bloomed into a full blown love affair by the time she reached her early teens. As a woman who is rooted in her faith, she has committed to using her gifts to enrich the lives of others. Through her pen she aims to encourage and empower people to change their perspectives, so they can change their narratives, so they can build the legacies they were born to establish.

 


                                                          


Comments

Popular Posts