Sometimes You Just Can't Do It All

It's as the title says, sometimes you just can't do it all.

What do I mean by all? I mean saying yes to everyone who needs help, saying yes to every opportunity, saying yes to everyone's wants. Maybe you have no problem saying no to over-committing. Maybe you have no problem stopping to take a moment for yourself, treating yourself, and making sure you have enough in the tank to do the things you need to do. Maybe you do have a hard time saying no, even when you are drowning in your own life. Well, I believe there should be a balance of helping out, being responsible, and yet taking care of yourself--that means giving yourself a break and recharging. Yes, we should be helping others, sacrificing time for others, loving one another with action, however, we also need to make sure we can do so healthily.

You are important too. It isn't selfish or self centered to do something for yourself every once in a while. It's called self-care. As I mentioned before, there is a balance that is needed when giving of yourself and giving to yourself. Carve out time to read a book, go on a walk, take a nap, journal--something that you love to do. If you are super busy, maybe it's just a playlist that makes you happy and listen to it when you drive or an audio book you enjoy listening to while you're cleaning. Look at your responsibilities, what you want to do, and what others ask of you. Figure out what is mandatory and what is optional, what is important and what isn't as important, what is healthy to keep and what is unhealthy that needs to go. We all have to do things we don't want to, but what is it that is making us not want to do it? Are we not wanting to do it out of selfishness? Anger? Hate? Immaturity? These are not good reasons not to do something. Or is it because doing it will break our limitations? Will saying yes have unhealthy consequences? Find the balance and know your limits. Our reasoning behind why we say yes or no can help indicate whether or not it should go or stay.

Yes, I just depicted an idealistic lifestyle... and in case you're wondering, no I don't have it balanced. I struggle with saying no. In fact, I find it really hard to say no. It's difficult for me to say no even when I absolutely don't want to do whatever it is. (I'm talking about the optional things not my personal responsibilities.) I hate saying no. My mind scrambles to make up a plan so that I can do it all and still manage to have enough left in me to make it through the day. I can guilt myself into doing things. I can ignore my limitations. But let me tell you, it doesn't work. I can maybe fake it a few days, maybe a week, but there is always a breaking point. I'm human. I have limitations.

I love helping people and I'm a highly empathetic person. God gifted me with this personality. It's a big gift to have and I'll be honest, sometimes I wish I didn't have it. Being empathetic makes me want to help ease other people's hurt, stress, or crazy schedules. I want to be able to listen to people at any moments notice, or chip in where I can, or simply be present with them. Unfortunately, there are only 24 hours in a day and I need at least 8 of those hours to sleep to properly function. But God made me who I am and I am learning to use it for His glory. I'm not perfect. I struggle. But God is good and perfect. With His guidance, I can find the balance of pouring myself out but being filled as well. 

We should be kind and extend a helping hand where we can, when we can. Sometimes sacrifices have to be made and choices have to be made. Key word, sometimes. We are all different. We have different abilities and different limitations. But we can't do it all, all the time. I pray that you are able to find a balance in your life. I hope you discover what is healthy to say yes to and what is unhealthy that you can say no to. Remember, it isn't going to happen over night. Be kind to yourself and be kind to others. Give grace to others and have grace for yourself. I wish you all the best and encourage you to join me on this journey.

Comments

Popular Posts