Expand Your Horizons

I love travel. Especially flying.

I find it exhilarating being up so high, soaring in the endless sky, and among the cotton candy clouds. I love the intensity of take off. The sudden burst of speed. The surge in power of the engines. The sinking feeling in my stomach as the wheels leave the runway. It is so fascinating to see the buildings, the cars, and the land become smaller as the plane ascends into the sky. One's perspective changes after seeing something that was once big shrink into a tiny dot beneath oneself. Our homes are a small portion of a vast world. I love gazing out of the airplane window and seeing God's beautiful creation. I am in wonder at His magnificent artistry. How amazing God's view of the world must be from the heavenlies.

As much as I love flying, it is not as simple as walking onto a plane. In order to fly, I have to go through an airport. Airports used to scare me to death. Security in particular is a nightmare. I do not enjoy being in loud, crowded places. If airports were crowded with happy, quiet, relaxed humans than it would be a piece of cake. Let's be real, who wants to be surrounded by people who are in a hurry because they miscalculated time, did not get enough sleep, have not had their hundredth cup of coffee, or think that they are the only person with somewhere to be. Oh yeah, sign me up for that.

It took some time for me to adjust to it all. Like most things, the more one does something the more comfortable one become with it. When I settled into the hustle and bustle of airports, I found they are quite entertaining places to be. Recently my trips have been mostly red-eye flights, which are fantastic because there are fewer people and they are so sleepy they move a whole lot slower. I also discovered I am a people watcher. Perhaps it stems from my writer's curiosity-always looking for new material to work with. Or perhaps it is because of my introvert tendencies that it is normal for me to be watching and listening. Whatever the reason, airports are no longer overwhelming but exciting.

If you ever have the chance to fly. Do it. Try to not only enjoy the experience yourself but also be the sweet person you would want to be standing next to in line. Try to be the helping hand to the mother trying to wrangle three little kids. Try to be the kind one who helps the elderly traveler put their bag in the overhead bin. New environments are chances to be a light in the world, to share Jesus' love with others, to offer someone a smile, to give someone hope that there are still decent people. It is a perfect opportunities to appreciate God's detailed design and minister to others. Expand your horizons. Spread God's love. Enjoy new places.

Comments

Popular Posts