An Early Christmas Present

Sometimes presents come in little packages. Sometimes they come in cute bags. And sometimes they just come with string. But then there are times you receive a gift that just takes your breath away. A gift of a person. A friend. A family member.

This season is so wrapped up in getting that gift you always wanted or finding that perfect gift to give. Often we forget that one of the greatest gives we have to give is of ourselves. Our love.

Last weekend was rough for me. There was stuff in life that was racing toward its deadlines, painful memories that wouldn't let me rest, unshed tears that wanted to break free. I kept looking toward Christmas as being a weekend of bliss, of no worries. Just a time with family and friends. But that pesky thing called reality kept whacking me over the head. Then, Monday night the door rang. I thought it was my Dad returning from his errands or the delivery guy with another package. But on the other side of that door was my grandma.

Now you must understand, my grandmother lives in a different state than I do and I only get to see her a few times a year. And what times we do get to see her it is because we drive near 10 hours to see her. And now on this dark winter night, my grandma was standing on my doorstep, smiling that classic grandma style, her eyes sparking with that mischievous delight of her successful surprise.

I did not know how to react. Squealing and jumping up and down had never really been my style. Throwing my arms open and running to her wasn't either. I just stood there, probably looking ridiculous, and let my eyes widen in shock. My heart nearly burst from my chest and I could feel the tears rushing in. When I managed to get my legs working, I gave her a hug and just held on

Grandma is that person you always feel safe with. She is the best friend you can tell anything to. She is that companion you can do silly things with and be yourself. She is that figure of wisdom and experience. She is that humor ready to make your day. She is that tender voice that tells you you are going to make it through anything. Grandma took a day I wished I could forget forever and turned it into a moment I would never forget.

So Grandma, if you are reading this. Thank you. Thank you for coming and staying with us. Thank you for surprising me at the moment that I needed it. Thank you for loving me and making memories with me that I shall cherish for all of time. I love you very much.

Merry Christmas everyone, and God bless each and every one of you!

Comments

Popular Posts