Thoughts from a Perfectionist Procrastinator

Confession time, I'm a perfectionist procrastinator. I take forever trying to get things as close to perfect as possible and I take forever to start things I do not want to do. Yes, writing this right now is a method of procrastination. It needed to be done, so call this productive procrastination. Seriously though, I have five things to share about what I learned or was reminded of this month that may apply to you too.

1. I am not defined by my grades/GPA. I can only do my best. There is no perfect, so after I have done my best, it is time to move on.

2. I'm only this age once. Live like it. Fifty years from now, I don't want to look back at my 20s and wish I had said yes to adventures, trying new things, investing in relationships, etc. I can take care of my responsibilities and still have time and money for fun things!

3. I can't run on empty. It can take more time to try and push through my exhaustion/frustration than it would take to step away, take a break, and come back to my task refreshed.

4. Don't focus on where I could be, acknowledge where I am, be thankful for how far I have come, and accept the process.

5. I may think the best route from A to B is a straight line but sometimes it is the scenic route. I am still okay when life takes some detours from where I think it should be going. Life's a journey.

Comments

Popular Posts